Saturday, April 10, 2010

Cattrall employs Avatar

Sometimes, an issue of Chatelaine appears on my kitchen table. It's not mine, but I live with an occasional purchaser.

Because I grew up respecting books and newspapers--and using magazines for strictly visual purposes--I have always been skeptical of these glossy conduits to advertisers and image makers. Like picture books of pop thrills and junk culture, subjugating words into format boxes, font bursts and hypertext.

I remember Chatelaine from my youth; the Dentist's waiting room, the school counseller's office, my Aunt's en-suite bathroom.

As you see, this issue "stars" Kim Cattrall. But that's not Kim on the cover. It looks like a young, unknown model who resembles Cattrall 25 years ago.

What? For the first time, I'm intrigued by a magazine. The monthly celebrity gets bold text but no cover photo? Instead, a young, no name model with pale, flawless skin instead? Notice the mole, carefully placed below the lip as an ode Catrall.

My eyebrows are raised.

Inside the issue, more rebellion. Cattralls own Q+A is supported by a photo of the same young model...mugging for the camera just as Cattrall would.

I stare at the picture. The soft, taught skin...the impossibly lush hair, the fresh cut smile.

Then it hits me. This is not a young model at all. This is an Avatar.

Kim Catrall has purchased an Avatar, which she will use to support the visual side of her brand from now on. Has this been happening in all the magazines? Am I really that far behind the technology of celebrity?

It's seems inevitable. For years, actors have used stand ins for lighting, doubles for stunt work and false names at hotels. For decades, they have been taking the credit for the work of so many anonymous people. This seems like the probable evolution of the human brand, the star becomes Avatar--physically rendered with youth and vigour--to perpetuate an ageless representation across all the visual media.

My mind is bent.

No comments:

Post a Comment